Steve Wasserman defends medical negligence lawsuits. For over 25 years, he has represented doctors, nurses, therapists and other health care providers, as well as hospitals and the largest health care provider systems in the greater St. Louis region. Steve defends cases in courts throughout Missouri and in southern and central Illinois.
Steve lectures at Grand Rounds and to other health care provider and insurance groups on a variety of medical negligence topics, ranging from documentation practices to tort reform. He also regularly gives presentations to lawyers and non-lawyers on the defense of malpractice cases, and has written articles on hot topics in the malpractice arena. Steve has served as an adjunct professor at Saint Louis University School of Law, teaching Trial Advocacy I.
Steve also has experience in transportation law, and has successfully defended North America’s leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services at trial.
Steve proudly received the John C. Shepherd Professionalism Award, presented by the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis to a young lawyer who best exemplifies the tenets of professionalism of BAMSL, and of former BAMSL and ABA President, John C. Shepherd.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Recognized as receiving a “Top 20 Defense Verdict for 2007” as reported by Missouri Lawyers Weekly
John C. Shepherd Professionalism Award, awarded by the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- “The Trial of a Medical Malpractice Case: A Defense Perspective,” Washington University School of Law (2007-2016)
- “Mock Trial Demonstration” and “Legal Advice for Young Physicians,” Saint Louis University School of Medicine Capstone Course with Saint Louis University School of Law Assistant Professor Tom Stewart and Associate Dean Kelly Dineen (2011-2015)
- “Medical Malpractice Lawsuits,” Saint Louis University School of Medicine Otolaryngology/ Head and Neck Surgery Grand Rounds (2014)
- “Focus Groups – How to Do Them, What to Learn From Them,” The Simon Law Firm Seminar to Benefit Legal Services of Eastern Missouri (2013)
- “Trial Advocacy I,” Adjunct Professor, Saint Louis University School of Law (2012)
- “The ‘Legal’ Electronic Medical Record: Navigating EMR and Discovery Requests,” Defense Counsel Seminar for Health Care Client (October 2010)
- “Update on Missouri Tort Reform,” Seminar for Health Care Client (August 2009)
- “Legal Advice for Young Physicians,” Saint Louis University School of Medicine New Resident Training (June 2009)
- “Medical-Legal Issues,” Saint Louis University GI/Hepatology Grand Rounds with Dr. Bruce Bacon (May 2009)
- Mock Deposition Demonstration for local nursing students (April 2009)
- “Legal Advice for Orthopaedic Surgeons,” Saint Louis University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds with Dr. Howard Place (March 2009)
- “Medical Malpractice Litigation Basics,” Saint Louis University School of Medicine with Dr. L. James Willmore (February 2009)
- “Liens and Minor’s Settlements,” defense counsel seminar for health care client (November 2008)
- “Joint and Several Liability and Related Issues in Missouri and Illinois,” Seminar for Health Care Client (April 2008)
- “Ethical Issues in Medical Malpractice Litigation,” MoBar CLE Seminar entitled The Defense of Medical Malpractice Cases After Tort Reform (2007)
- “Highlights of Missouri’s Medical Malpractice Tort Reform Litigation of 2005,” Seminar for Health Care Client (2006)
- “Tort Reform in 2005-What is on the Horizon?” Grand Rounds, Missouri Baptist Medical Center (2005)