Michael C. McMullen
Mike McMullen brought his 30 year national products defense practice to Williams Venker & Sanders by opening the firm’s Kansas City office on January 1, 2017. He serves on the Executive Committee and plans to rapidly expand Williams Venker & Sanders resources and capacity for regional and national clients based in the Kansas City area.
Mike represents manufacturing, propane, marine, insurance and transportation industry clients in catastrophic accident cases across the United States. He has investigated accidents and defended cases in 37 states, including numerous defense verdicts and summary judgment rulings. A certified fire investigator, Mike’s extensive experience and tenacious approach have often negated lawsuits before they could be filed against his clients.
In court, Mike has obtained defense verdicts in fire and explosion fatality trials, and summary judgment rulings in carbon monoxide brain damage and other serious personal injury cases. Mike also conducts company safety audits to help his clients limit potential exposure and maximize safety for their customers, and gives frequent presentations to industry groups on consumer safety and industry practice issues.
Outside the courtroom, Mike is actively involved in the arts. His Black & White photography decorates the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association office, and is offered for sale through the KCMBA with a percentage of proceeds benefitting local bar community programs. His courthouse series of photographs are on permanent display at the Jackson County courthouse in downtown Kansas City.
CIVIC AND CHARITABLE ACTIVITIES
- Board of Directors, Neighbor to Neighbor (N2N) Homeless Outreach
- Kansas City Tomorrow Civic Leadership Alumni
- ARTS KC Now Showing Program, Participating Artist
- Eagle Scout & Former BSA Troop 10 Assistant Scoutmaster
REPRESENTATIVE JURY VERDICTS & SUMMARY JUDGMENT RULINGS
- Defense verdict in wrongful death house fire case, Cincinnati Federal Court.
- Defense verdict in wrongful death commercial business explosion case, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Defense verdict in commercial business propane release case, claiming multi-million dollar business loss.
- Defense verdict in wrongful death of disabled child, Cleburne, AL.
- Summary Judgment ruling in nightclub kitchen fire burn case, Atlanta, GA.
- Summary Judgment ruling in CO brain damage personal injury case, Charleston, WV.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- 15 Year recipient of Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- Volunteer Attorney Project, Pro-Bono Award
- Mike is a frequent presenter to industry groups on consumer safety and industry practice issues.
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Missouri Bar
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Defense Research Institute
- Propane Gas Defense Association
- National Fire Protection Association
- Certified Fire Investigator
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Courts
- Western District of Missouri