John joined Williams Venker & Sanders from the Union Pacific Railroad Company, at which he served as General Attorney for almost 12 years. He has successfully litigated personal injury, fatality and property damage cases filed against numerous railroads in state and federal courts. John has served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Saint Louis University, teaching Trial Advocacy to third-year law students.
Prior to joining Union Pacific, John served as an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney in St. Louis County for 14 years. He prosecuted high-profile criminal cases including homicides, narcotics cases, white-collar crime and political corruption cases. During that time, John was appointed to serve as a Special Assistant Attorney General and he taught at the Trial Advocacy School for Prosecuting Attorneys at the University of Missouri School of Law. He began his career as a Law Clerk for all of the Circuit Judges in St. Louis County, and has tried over 75 jury trials and hundreds of bench trials to completion.
CIVIC AND CHARITABLE ACTIVITIES
- Vice Chair of the General Counsel Committee for the American Short Line Regional Railroad Association
- Municipal Judge, City of Warson Woods, MO
- Alumni Association of John Burroughs School; Former President
- Former Member, Villa Duchesne – Oak Hill School Board of Trustees
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Recognized as one of The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Railroad Law (2016 – present)
- Received Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating for 2017
John is a frequent presenter on a wide variety of topics at national and international transportation conferences.