Michael B. Hunter
Mike likes to try cases. To date he has tried over two dozen of them, almost all of those to a jury. His trials include disputes over business relationships, insurance contracts, personal injury and property damage.
His trial work has earned him the recognition of his peers. He has been invited to join various honorary trial lawyer societies, one of which invites only one half of one percent American lawyers. In addition he has been asked by his peers to speak on a variety of litigation related topics.
Mike’s work has also earned him the loyalty of his clients. He currently serves as Regional Trial Counsel for a Fortune 100 heavy equipment manufacturer, and represents various clients in courts throughout the Midwest. Mike’s clients include companies in the manufacturing, insurance, utility, transportation and healthcare industries. Outside of the courtroom, he has developed risk management and mitigation policies and procedures for his clients.
Mike likes to spend his time away from the office with his wife Molly and their three kids. When he gets the chance, Mike likes to swim, cycle and play an occasional round of golf.
CIVIC AND CHARITABLE ACTIVITIES
- Board of Directors, Team Activities for Special Kids, Inc.
REPRESENTATIVE JURY VERDICTS
- Jury verdict for manufacturer client against traumatic brain injury claim, demand of $1.95 million
- Jury verdict for utility client against wrongful death claim, demand of $4.8 million
- Jury verdict for manufacturing client against allegations of a defective product, demand of $800,000
- Jury verdict for hospital client against allegations of disease exposure from used needle, demand of $500,000
- Jury verdict for corporate client against allegations of property misappropriation and tortious interference with a business
- Jury verdict for railroad client in FELA claim, demand of $900,000
- Jury verdict in favor of corporate client in $1.5 million breach of contract case
REPRESENTATIVE PUBLISHED CASES
- Wahl v. Watco Companies, 458 S.W.3d 857 (Mo.App. W.D. 2015)
- Western Waterproofing Company v. Elastomeric Roofing Systems, Inc., 2010 WL 5392775 (E.D. Mo)
- Arthur v. National Railroad Passenger Corporation, 224 S.W.3d 68 (Mo.App. E.D. 2007)
- Williams v. National Railroad Passenger Corp., 2006 WL 3431781 (S.D.IlI.)
- Cupp v. National Railroad Passenger Corp., 138 S.W.3d 766 (Mo.App. E.D. 2004)
- Gresser v. Union Pacific Railroad Company, 130 F.Supp.2d 1009 (C.D. Il1. 2001)
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Recognized as one of The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Commercial Litigation for the 2017 publication
- Recognized as one of The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Commercial Litigation for the 2016 publication.
- Received Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating for 2016
- Named as an “Up & Coming Lawyer” in 2009 by Missouri Lawyers Weekly
- Recognized as receiving a “Top Defense Verdict” in 2008 – 2011 as reported by Missouri Lawyers Weekly
- Listed with Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2008 – 2011
- Speaker, “FELA Claims Investigation – Damages”, American Short Line & Regional Railroad Liability Conference (June 2015)
- Speaker, “Return to Work Issues: Legal and Practical Issues From a Litigation Perspective”, American Short Line & Regional Railroad Annual Convention (May 2011)
- Speaker, “Opening Statements”, Litigation seminar to benefit Legal Services of Eastern Missouri (June 2010)
- Speaker, “Issues Related to Additional Insureds and Contractual Liability in Missouri and Illinois”, Seminar for insurance client (November 2009)
- Speaker, “Current Trends in Grade Crossing Litigation”, Railroad Claims and Liability Seminar (July 2008)
- Product Liability Advisory Council
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Defense Research Institute
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Missouri Bar
- American Bar Association
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals
- Eighth Circuit
- United States District Courts
- Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri
- Southern and Central Districts of Illinois
- District of Kansas